The hamlet of Loc Amand is the historic heart of La Forêt-Fouesnant.
Priory of Loc Amand
The hamlet of Loc Amand is home to the remains of the former priory of Saint-Amand. A counter-curve adorned with two leafy pinnacles surmounts a large surrounding wall and a very beautiful doorway sculpted in the shape of a basket handle.
Hoël, Duke of Brittany and Count of Cornouaille, founded the Priory of Locamand and donated it to the Abbey of Sainte Croix de Quimperlé. The priory of Locamand was then placed under the double title of Saint Amand and Saint Colomban. It would be either Saint Amand, a contemporary of King Dagobert, a missionary of Nantes origin who traveled through Gaul and was bishop of Maestricht, or Saint Amand, bishop of Rennes and predecessor of Saint Mélaine.
Pope Gregory XV, by a bull of 1623, joined the priory to the Jesuit colleges of Quimper. The donation was confirmed by Louis XIV in September 1681.
Sold as national property during the Revolution, the priory house changed owners several times before falling into ruin.
The priory had the right of high, medium and low justice. For cases relating to high justice, the forks necessary for the achievement of the fatal verdict, were located on the territory of the commune. The sinisters of the parish still stood in the 17th century on “the mountain of Lanarchou”. Justice was rendered either at the foot of a cross located near the Locamand cemetery, or in the town of La Forêt.
If his memory survives in the archives, his buildings have not resisted the wear and tear of time and history. From Locamand only a few vestiges remain today: in particular a basket-handle porch, surmounted by a counter-curve and flanked by two leafy pinnacles.
In front of the gate is a protohistoric stele dating from the Iron Age. The cross at its top is a mark of Christianity. Abandoned for a long time, this stele was erected around 1903.
It has been listed as a Historic Monument since 1967.